Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Article processing charges at Tampere Universities
Tampere University Library will pay article and book processing charges (APCs and BPCs) for scientific publications that meet certain criteria in 2023. Researchers and staff members working at Tampere University and Tampere University of Applied Sciences are eligible to apply OA support funding when they meet the criteria.
Researchers affiliated with Tampere Universities are eligible to receive discounts for article processing charges. You can find information about the discounts in Open Access guide.
Self-archiving is an excellent way of making your publications openly available without a fee. You can read more about self-archiving in our Open Access guide.
How to apply funding for article and book processing charges
You can apply support funding for article processing charges (APC) or book processing charges (BPC) for publications that have been accepted for publication 1.1.2023 or after. Please follow the instructions:
- First, go to Open Access guide and check if there is a discount that you could utilize as a researcher at Tampere Universities to publish your article openly with discounted APC or without paying a fee. Follow the instructions to receive the discount. If the publication channel you have selected is not eligible for a discount or the full APC is not covered, you can apply for support funding.
- Read the criteria and check if you and the publication are eligible for support funding.
- Fill in the application form.
- When your application for support funding is accepted, notify the publisher of the invoicing address of Tampere University as instructed.
- Self-archive your publication in Tampere University's TUNICRIS research information system or Tampere University of Applied Sciences' institutional repository Theseus.
Criteria for OA support funding
The Library covers article or book processing charges of peer-reviewed publications when the criteria are met. Applications for OA support funding can be made once the manuscript has been accepted for publication. The Library will monitor the conditions of the OA support funding and, if necessary, changes may be made during the year 2023.
The Library does not pay other publication costs, such as costs for images, pages, editing or manuscript submission. The applicant undertakes to self-archive the openly published article or monograph in the institutional repository of Tampere University or Tampere University of Applied Sciences.
- The corresponding author of a publication must be affiliated with Tampere University of Tampere University of Applied Sciences when applying for funding for the costs of open access publication.
- The affiliated person has a valid employment contract or extended resource agreement with Tampere University or Tampere University of Applied Sciences or is actively working towards a doctoral degree at Tampere University.
- Affiliation with Tampere University or Tampere University of Applied Sciences is mentioned in the publication. The publication is reported as a publication of Tampere University or Tampere University of Applied Sciences in the Ministry of Education and Culture's publication data collection.
- Funding is available for open access publishing of a peer-reviewed scientific journal article, review article, book chapter or monograph (categories A1-A3 and C1 of the Ministry of Education and Culture's publication data collection).
- The Library decides on a case-by-case basis whether to pay the costs of open access publishing of the whole edited volume (category C2 of the Ministry of Education and Culture's publication data collection) or only the book chapters written by researchers affiliated to Tampere Universities.
- The Library pays the open access publishing costs for peer-reviewed conference papers of projects funded by Horizon Europe (category A4 of the Ministry of Education and Culture's publication data collection).
- The selected publication channel is ranked at level 1-3 by the Finnish Publication Forum.
- The publication channel uses Creative Commons licenses for open access articles and monographs.
- The publication channel is Plan S compliant and meets the Academy of Finland's* open access requirements, including the use of CC licenses when the project is funded by the Academy.
- the publication channel meet Horizon Europe's** open access requirements (PDF), including the use of CC licenses when the project is funded by Horizon Europe.
- The publication channel charges an article processing charge (APC) of up to 3500 euros or a book processing charge (BPC) of up to 15 000 euros for a monograph or edited work. If the open access costs exceed the above limits, the Library may accept the application for a specific reason.
* The Library will pay the APC for those projects funded by the Academy of Finland that have received a positive funding decision from the Academy in a call for proposals opened after 1 January 2021, in accordance with the Academy's renewed open access policy for scientific publications. For projects funded as a result of calls for proposals launched by the Academy of Finland before 1 January 2021 article processing charges will be paid from the funding allocated to the project.
** Horizon Europe reimburses publication fees in fully open access publication channels for peer-reviewed scientific publications. The Library covers article and book processing charges of publications published in other channels. In Horizon 2020 projects article processing charges will be paid from the funding allocated to the project.
Once the Library has processed your application for support funding, you will receive with the positive decision instructions on how to proceed with the article processing charge invoicing. Please follow the instructions you receive. Please do not pay the invoice until you have received confirmation from the Library that your application has been approved.
The Library will not cover any article processing charges already paid.
Application forms for support funding
Open Access guide
In our Open Access guide you will find further information about
- discounts on article processing charges
- reliability of publication channels
Journal Checker Tool
To assess the Plan S compatibility of a publication channel, you can use the Journal Checher Tool. You can check the compatibility of a publication channel with, for example, the new open access policy of the Academy of Finland or the Horizon Europe funding conditions.