Altmetrics (article level / alternative metrics) tracks research visibility in social media and other online platforms.
- How much an article is viewed, liked, shared, downloaded, recommended or discussed online.
- Altmetrics try to answer who is saying what about research.
- An early immediate indicator of research's later impact, where bibliometrics is slow to accrue.
- Provide information about different types of research impact like social, economic and cultural impact when bibliometrics (citations) may reflect only scientific impact.
- You can download Bookmarklet Altmetric it! to see altmetric for specific article.
With regard to altmetric visibility, so called hard disciplines and articles published in esteemed international journals get the most attention.